Tuesday 17 May 2011

Time for Thought.

At the end of week 5 (I think), the margins are in place, the remedial glass work has been done on the cabin/deck seam and the steam box has been constructed.

The photo shows the foredeck with all the margins screwed down and the rebates cut (by hand using a shoulder plane from Axminster)

The big gap in the port king-plank will eventually be filled with a 40mm thick lump of teak, on top of which will sit  the anchor winch.

Unfortunately, due a slight teething problems with the steam-box, I had trouble bending the first deck strake into position. It should appear on the left of the photo above, but...

...but hey, Edison spent years discovering ways of not making light bulbs. I think that what I thought would be the hot end of the steam-box is actually colder than the cold end. I have to wait for 'er-indoors to go to Waitrose so I can borrow the jam making thermometer.

Time for thought. For the moment, I'll work on glueing down the margins and working on a jig so the strakes can be bent into position without damaging what I've done already. If you look closely at the photo, you'll see the outlines of the old planks in the subdeck; it's quite a curve - about 12" of edge-set over 8 feet of plank. (that's 300mm over 2.4 metres in new money.)

[Now Playing: Taking Over Me by Evanescence]

No comments:

Post a Comment