Monday 11 April 2011

Can't put it off any longer

Finally, the weather has set fair enough to make a start on laying the teak deck. The materials are in stock and I think I know what I'm doing.

Unlike most decks, where the king-plank goes in last, the Fairey Huntsman's deck layout requires it to be fitted first. The most expensive bit of wood and you have to get it right first time. It is made up of two pieces of teak 120mm wide and 2 metres long. Specially cut by K.J. Howells and Son of Poole.

The first photo shows progress during day two. The two king-plank boards are screwed down, and the bow margin boards in position awaiting profiling to the bow shape. As I've nowhere to put the bow rail and it's required to hold up the tarpaulin frame, I'll be working round it.

The second photo is a closeup of the marking gauge needed to find the edge of the deck under a 9mm thick teak plank. It picks up the edge of the rubbing strake and marks the edge of the deck and also the 75mm margin board width. Due to the fact that a 40 year old rubbing strake is not the most reliable positioning agent, the marking gauge is adjustable. The most important aspect of the device is the plastic DALEK fitted to the top of the pencil. It stops the pencil from rolling off the deck every time you put it down. (For the record, I have a TARDIS on my other pencil).

The next job is the margin boards around the edge of the deck and various deck fittings so I hope this weather holds for a while longer.

[Now Playing: "Slow Down" by the Teak Project]

No comments:

Post a Comment